Tuesday, 3 July 2012

Awesome Mausam


I was sulking all day, thanks to my dependence on my blackberry phone. The moment it gave up on me I sensed doom. The feeling of having to depend on an inanimate object is depressing but the feeling of not depending on it or abstaining from it is even worse. I was brooding over my non functioning phone while in the bus on my way back home when I thought of getting down at the nearest showroom and browsing through the phones available in market. ‘You never know, I might just need to buy a new one just in case this cannot be repaired!’

I followed my heart and spent time checking phones in the showroom. After a survey to my heart’s content, I stepped out of the shop into massive showers. There were no cars on the road and no people even. The closed shops were lined by human figures. Every corner, railing, platform, stall with a cover on top served as a refuge for 5-8 people.

I waited for a bit but the scene was so beautiful! It did seem a little scary initially but my instinct told me to give into this rage of Lord Varuna. Without thinking twice, I opened my umbrella and stepped onto the footpath, surrendering to the growling and roaring nature.

I felt a surge of excitement as I took the first step. The raindrops hit my umbrella and I feared they would tear it to pieces. I walked along the footpath. A jump in every step I took. The wet monsoons had managed to lift my spirits and rid me off the dampness within. The corners of my lips twitched and curved into a smile. Perhaps monsoons have that effect on you. The weather was cool, road empty and streets drowning into the accumulated water. Neither the water logged lanes nor the lightning intimidated me. I was on a different trip. I still fail to understand what infused so much excitement and happiness into a meaningless day but something had gone right, something inexplicable had happened. I had forgotten about my phone, my work and I was enjoying that moment. Carpe Diem!!!

I managed to cross the road after endless efforts of maneuvering through ankle deep water. Still not many cars on the road. The cacophony of Mahim had come to a rest. The usually crowded roads seemed lifeless. ‘How can roads which were abuzz a few minutes ago look deserted all of a sudden?’ But they sure were. A few empty cabs fleeted past, none willing to take on passengers. The drivers were perhaps rushing to the safety of their homes. It’s amazing how we think of our loved ones when in peril. It’s the ‘kya pata, kal ho na ho’ moment for each one of us!

After a few futile efforts, one cabbie agreed. The distance wasn’t much really. Once home I thought to myself, 'Hardships never fail to find you, but it is what you make of it. Our perceptions play a large part in what we make of what we have. The smaller joys of life are far more important, it is important to do what your hearts says! I stepped into the rains because I felt like doing it at that moment and walked that little distance, but it worked wonders for me. It allowed me to get drenched, wade through water logged streets, feel the rain drops on my face.I embraced it all willingly and in return I lived that moment fully! Concentrate on the smaller joys of life, the big ones will follow ;) Live the day my friend! and every day will become a happy memory'

2 comments:

  1. Rucha, I simply loved this post. Not too long ago, there was this one time when I was out alone walking on the streets and it was raining cats and dogs. It's amazing the kind of effect Mother Nature can have on us. For no specific reason, I was smiling, shivering with a sudden gush of wind, even letting out a loud giggle once in a while, singing, playing peek-a-boo with the rain holding on to my fiercely fluttering umbrella, jumping over tiny puddles in the middle of the road and didn't really care damn if anyone was even watching. God! It was so silly but so much fun :) I was just, plain, happy :) So happy in fact that I could recall every moment of my experience when I read yours :) Thanks for sharing it :)

    ReplyDelete